The ACAF board of directors and committees are busy working to achieve the goals and mission of the organization:
- assessing the needs and aspirations of the local artists and cultural groups
- promoting the local arts and cultural community and encouraging everyone to make arts and culture part of their daily lives
- exploring ways to help everyone engaged in arts & cultural activity achieve their goals.
Implementation of the Freeport Cultural Plan is at the core of the effort.
Board of Directors
Following the release of the Freeport Cultural Plan, the ACAF Board of Directors has been constituted to include advocates and representatives from the various stakeholder groups in the local arts and cultural sector. They include artists, representatives of cultural groups, business owners, and arts & culture promoters. They are working to bring people from throughout the community into the grassroots effort to support the efforts of our artists and cultural organizations and implement the Cultural Plan.
The Board of Directors is currently focused on these strategies from the Cultural Plan:
- build connections between local schools and the arts/culture groups in the community
- catalog Freeport’s arts & culture assets, including our artists, cultural organizations, venues, and sites
- convene an annual summit of arts/culture stakeholders
- expand the effort to promote Freeport’s arts and cultural activity, which we started with the launch of the Virtual Kiosk last year
- pursue the creation of a multi-use, multi-user, exhibition and performance space in order to address unmet space needs
The Board of Directors meets monthly to discuss and plan efforts to support and bring together the arts and cultural community. Minutes of these meetings are posted here. The public is welcome at these meetings. If you would like to attend a meeting, please contact Hannah (hannah@FreeportArtsAndCulture.org).
Marketing Committee: Promotes the mission of ACAF and Freeport’s arts and cultural activity to residents and visitors. Among the initiatives of the Marketing Committee is the Virtual Kiosk on the Web and on Facebook. Planning is underway to expand this effort to promote Freeport’s arts and cultural sector.
Cultural Assets Committee: Strengthens connections among Freeport’s arts and cultural sector. The committee is currently working on an inventory of Freeport’s cultural assets, including artists, artisans, craftspeople, performers, cultural and arts organizations, businesses involved in arts and cultural activity, historic and cultural sites, venues for performance and exhibitions, and more. Planning is also underway for networking opportunities and a stakeholder summit in 2019 to bring together representatives from Freeport’s diverse arts and cultural sector.
School & Youth Committee: Creates opportunities for collaboration between artists and cultural organizations and Freeport’s public schools, private schools and youth organizations.
Venue & Space Committee: Works to address the space needs of local artists and cultural groups. Current initiatives of this committee include evaluating potential spaces for a multi-use arts center and working with the Cultural Assets Committee to identify existing spaces that are (or can be) available to meet current needs.
Development Committee: Creates plans to meet ACAF’s fundraising goals and achieve long-term financial sustainability.
Finance Committee: Oversees ACAF’s financial matters and budgeting and works with the Development Committee to set fundraising goals.
To volunteer in the work of any of these committees, send a message to hannah@FreeportArtsAndCulture.org.