With FACA’s help, the Town of Freeport has applied for a grant from the Maine Arts Commission to develop a cultural plan for Freeport. The objectives of the cultural plan are to:
- Assess the importance of arts and cultural activities, events and participation to Freeport area residents and leaders in government, business, tourism, education, economic and community development,
- Understand what Freeport residents and visitors think about access to and participation in arts and cultural resources currently available,
- Assess Freeport’s image and reputation and determine how the Town’s arts and cultural resources contribute to the image,
- Survey the arts and cultural activities underway nationally,
- Deliver a Strategic Plan with effective strategies to enhance and support the further development of arts and cultural opportunities and support the creative economy of the Town.
A wide variety of local organizations wrote letters of support for the grant application and made the commitment to participate in the cultural planning process. They include: Art Guild of Freeport, RSU5 Community Programs, Freeport Performing Arts Center, Greater Freeport Community Chorus, Freeport USA, Freeport Players, Greater Freeport Chamber of Commerce, Freeport Economic Development Corporation (FEDC), Wolfe’s Neck Farm, The PORT Teen Center, Freeport Community Library, Freeport Historical Society, Freeport High School Drama Department, Pine Tree Academy Band, Coastal Winds Community Band, Open Stage Coffee House, and MASISTA.
FACA will be coordinating the planning process, which we anticipate will begin this summer and take about a year to complete. FACA volunteers continue to reach out to community groups to invite them to participate.