The financial impact of COVID-19 on the arts and cultural community — such as our local independent bookstores, theaters, arts/culture nonprofits, event organizers, venues, performers and artists — is substantial. Here are a few suggestions of things fans of local artists, cultural organizations, and venues can do to help:
- Make a donation to an arts or cultural non-profit to help offset lost revenue from canceled programs and slower admissions.
- Purchase a ticket to a future event now, so they have the income sooner rather than later.
- If an event you purchased a ticket for has been canceled, consider donating the ticket price to the venue and artist, rather than accepting a refund.
- If you’re a fan of a musician or band, see if they are on a streaming service like Spotify or Amazon. Leave your streaming account up and playing that artist’s music all day long. (They get paid when their music is played.)
- Buy the artist or organization’s merchandise, such as CDs, t-shirts, stickers, books, and art.
- Take private lessons from musicians and artists who teach. You may find some who offer online lessons, so you can use this time of social distancing to learn how to play ukelele like you always wanted!
- Buy a book at your local independent bookseller.